Just after Thanksgiving, a friend sent a recipe for Cream Cheese Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and said they were out of this world. I immediately went to the link for the recipe. Who can resist something described like that?
I knew I would need to modify the recipe to be gluten free. However, as I contemplated the task, I realized I would also need to be sure it was something Andy, my son with disabilities, could manage. His bottom front four teeth have never come in. At 21 years old, I don’t expect them to any time soon. Biting things, like sandwiches, apples, and pieces of pizza are difficult for him. He often bites things off with his molars instead.
As I was pondering all this, I was reminded of a cupcake my Mother made with cream cheese filling (and chocolate chips).
And thus, today’s gluten-free recipe is born:
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Makes 12 regular sized cupcakes
Food I need:
- 2 ¼ cup Tom Sawyer Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tblsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ cup butter (softened at room temp)
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add pumpkin to egg mixture.
- Add flour and milk alternately and mix until batter is smooth
(That is, half the flour; mix; add milk, mix, add remaining flour, mix).
- Set aside.
- Make Cream Cheese Filling
Cream Cheese Filling
Food I need:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (I used the 1/3 fat version)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Cream together the cheese and sugar.
- Add egg.
- Mix until white and fluffy.
- Spray muffin tins with vegetable oil.
- For each cupcake:
- Fill ea ¼ with pumpkin batter.
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese filling mixture.
- Cover with pumpkin batter.
- Cupcake cup should be ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes
- Check at 20 minutes with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are done.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Foods I need:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 Tbsp soft butter.
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat well until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes when cool.
- Makes enough to frost a one-layer cake or 12 muffins.
Eat and Enjoy!